To All Fitness Enthusiasts,
Quick Update - Here are some recent updates:
Coalition for Fit Chicks - Mina Yun of Pur Fitness is gathering a network of self-employed personal trainers in the downtown Toronto area who will volunteer their time to train and mentor women that are in the transitional stages of leaving a shelter and starting a new, independent life. Each woman would be assigned to a trainer and taken through a 2x/week, 12-week training program to kick-start their health and wellness, all the while boosting their strength and self-confidence. If you are a trainer who would like to participate in this project, contact Mina at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 416-223-4345.
- We had a nice turnout for this month's Strength Workshop. I want to congratulate everyone who completed the course.
- My latest article The Russian Approach to Size and Strength was just released. Visit TMuscle.com for the edited version or BodyEssence.ca for the unedited version.
- The Elite Trainer is close to completion. The book should be ready by August.
- A new online hub for The Catanzaro Group will debut next month. Stay tuned…
- An Alkaline Formula has been added to the Vitality Line of Catanzaro Supplements. This formula contains a balanced blend of alkalizing vitamins, minerals, amino acids, and botanicals in a convenient capsule form. Acidosis is common in our society because the typical North American diet is high in acid-producing foods such as meat, eggs, dairy, grains, flour, sugar, coffee, soft drinks and artificial sweeteners to name a few, and far too low in alkaline-producing foods like fresh vegetables. Furthermore, anyone who exercises regularly in the anaerobic lactate energy system (i.e., 20-120 second work intervals at a submaximal intensity) should strongly consider an alkaline supplement post-workout.
- And finally, I'm sure most of you are cheering on Italy to repeat as World Cup Champions this year. Please cheer responsibly, and let us not repeat the head-bunting incident of 2006!
Total Body Makeover - My colleague Joe Dowdell, founder and co-owner of Peak Performance in New York City, just released a book Ultimate You: A 4-Phase Total Body Makeover for Women Who Want Maximum Results.
Personal Trainers Wanted - A new club in Richmond Hill, Ontario (Yonge and Elgin Mills area) is looking for trainers. If you are interested, forward your resume to Jamie Charles at email@example.com.
Yours in Health & Fitness,
John Paul Catanzaro
Spring Is In The Air (Part 2)
Below is Part 2 of our series from Dr. Nigel Plummer's teleconference on Clinical Nutrition for the Preconception and Fetal to Adolescent Period: The Critical Period for the Prevention of Chronic Disease. (Click here to access Part 1.) If you or someone you know are planning to have a child, you will find this very useful.
- Frequency of male births have been decreasing in developing nations.
- 2-3 days before conception, eating heartily (i.e., a lot!) and especially at breakfast can increase your chance of having a boy by 25-40%.
- During a feast cycle, there are more male births.
- During a famine cycle, there are more female births.
- Low birth weight is linked to low micronutrient and low macronutrient intake.
- Vitamin D, iron, iodine, and EFAs are linked to birth weight.
- Scandinavian countries recommend 1,000 IUs of vitamin D per day for every baby.
- A deficiency of vitamin D during fetal period decrease set points of bone matrix turnover, which can increase likelihood of osteoporosis later in life.
- Vitamin D deficiency is also linked to psychological disorders later in life.
- Vitamin D may blunt the dominance of Th2 cells during the fetal period; therefore, higher levels of vitamin D given to pregnant women can decrease asthma and wheeze of child.
- To further decrease risk of allergies, give infant probiotics.
- Dip finger into probiotic powder and feed it to baby (baby will suck on finger).
- There is a window of opportunity during pregnancy to have a major impact on the child's health - taking a multivitamin during pregnancy can reduce the offspring's chance of cancer later in life by half.
- DHA is the most important fatty acid for the brain (11% of brain weight comes from this fatty acid).
- Fish oil is beneficial to both infant and mother - it will decrease postpartum depression (if there is not sufficient DHA in diet, the infant will mobilize it from the mother's tissue leading to depression).
- For fish oil, take 1 teaspoon a day during first trimester, 2 teaspoons a day during second trimester, and three teaspoons a day during third trimester - maintain this dose after birth.
- Always take fish oil with food.
Multi Strain Probiotic
The word "Probiotic" simply means “for life” which explains why these nutrients are so important. A probiotic is an organism which contributes to the health and balance of the intestinal tract. A probiotic is also referred to as the "friendly", "beneficial", or "good" bacteria which, when ingested, acts to maintain a healthy intestinal tract and help fight illness and disease.
The health benefits of probiotics include:
Catanzaro Supplements Multi Strain Probiotic contains 14 different strains of bacteria in a base of inulin (a prebiotic) for maximum effectiveness, and highly potent at 30 billion CFU count per capsule.
- improve nutrient bioavailability (B vitamins, calcium, iron, zinc, copper, magnesium and phosphorus, among others)
- decrease the rate of acute diarrhea, improves lactose intolerance and eases constipation
- promote the growth of healthy bacteria in the colon and reduce the conversion of bile into carcinogens
- enhance immunity by regulating lymphocytes and antibodies
How do our probiotics compare against others in the industry? Click here and you be the judge.
Injury in Sport
Ankle injuries are quite common in basketball. Here’s a valid test that I learned from Dr. Mel Siff to determine if an athlete is completely rehabilitated from a lower body injury. Simply have them jump off a desk (make sure the whole body absorbs the landing). If they hesitate, they are not ready. If that is the case, your program should focus on strengthening the ankle sufficiently to avoid such hesitation, and of course, maximize performance on the court.
The following is an ankle/calf routine to emphasize (lower) extremity specialization, which seems to be lacking today with all the “core” buzz!
A. Seated calf raise: 2 x 20/15/10/10 (no rest between drop sets) @ 2010, 120s
A1. One-leg calf raise: 3 x 10-12 @ 2-1-1-1, no rest
A2. One-leg hop: 3 x 50-100 @ 1-0-X-0, 150s
A1. Standing calf raise: 4 x 8-10 @ 2-2-2-0, no rest
A2. Barbell jump: 4 x 12 @ 1-0-X-0, 180s
Do this routine first thing in your workout every other day for a month. If you are returning from a layoff, then perform only 1 set of each exercise the first week; move up to 2 sets the next week and then take it from there. Trust me! Also, if you are still sore from the previous calf workout, you may need to reduce the volume somewhat by performing less sets, but do not reduce the intensity (load).
How about a sport like golf? Lower back injuries are quite common in golf. Here are two approaches to low back rehabilitation. The first routine features exercises advocated by Dr. Stuart McGill, a spinal biomechanist and professor at the University of Waterloo. It is a great method to promote core stability and should be performed on a daily basis. The second routine is adapted from Paul Chek’s Scientific Back Training course and is best conducted three times a week on non-consecutive days. Perform 1-3 sets of each exercise to fatigue. This routine should be conducted three times a week on non-consecutive days.
Perform 1-3 sets of each exercise to fatigue. This routine should be conducted three times a week on non-consecutive days.
|Low Back Routine #1
Perform 1 set of each exercise to fatigue on a daily basis.
- Camel/cat (5-10 cycles)
- Slow lunge (i.e., hip flexor stretch)
- Side bridge
Low Back Routine #2
- Supine unsupported pelvic tilt
- Vertical horse stance
- Supine knee raise
- Alphabet horse stance
- Cross crunch
- Dynamic horse stance
- Abdominal crunch
- Horizontal horse stance
Low Back Disorders
Access the latest research and applications to build effective prevention and rehabilitation programs for your patients or clients with Low Back Disorders: Evidence-Based Prevention and Rehabilitation, Second Edition. Internationally recognized low back specialist Stuart McGill presents original research to quantify the forces that specific movements and exercises impose on the low back, dispels myths regarding spine stabilization exercises, and suggests prevention approaches and strategies to offset injuries and restore function.
"Exercise is your king, and nutrition is your queen. Together they create your fitness kingdom."
-- Jack LaLanne
"Diseases that cannot be cured with medicine, can only be cured with food."
-- Nei Ching
"Research shows that lower fat diets drop your testosterone levels by up to 15%, which will zap your sex drive and put the breaks on muscle growth."
-- Vince Del Monte
"After years of experience I finally figured out why I had so much trouble gaining muscle. It was my diet. I simply did not realize how much protein and food it took to gain muscle. Think about it like this: Let's say you want to fill up a water glass so you go outside in the rain, but it's only drizzling a little. How fast is that water glass going to fill up? Now go outside in a downpour and see how fast your glass fills up. Get the idea?"
-- Rick Gray
Copyright © 2010, Body Essence. All Rights Reserved.